Insurance Coverage when you are hurt in a car wreck

Do I Need UM Coverage In KY?

Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) In Kentucky?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

The purpose of Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) is to protect yourself in case you are injured in an auto accident by someone who doesn’t have car insurance. This can easily be confused with Underinsured Motorist Coverage. However, they are separate and distinct types of coverage.

UM is for when you are hurt in a car wreck where the other driver has no insurance at all. It can also be used in cases where the driver fled the scene and cannot be identified.

Why Should I Have Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)?

We would all like to believe that everyone else driving on Kentucky’s highways is properly insured and cautious, but we know that isn’t true. There are many people out there who are just irresponsible and don’t carry coverage. There are also many people who have had to choose between putting food on the table and paying for car insurance. Whatever the cause, the effect on you is the same if you are seriously hurt by a driver with no insurance.

If you don’t have UM coverage you can very quickly find yourself with medical bills piling up and no compensation for your lost wages. You have the option of suing the driver who injured you, but in reality if the person didn’t have car insurance they probably aren’t going to be able to cover any of your expenses.

How Do I Get Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)?

Call your insurance agent to review your policy as a whole. You will find that adding UM isn’t as expensive as you might expect and you should take the opportunity to talk to the agent about adding Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM) and increasing the limits on your Personal Injury Protection (PIP).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *