Alimony In Kentucky, AKA Maintenance

Maintenance Awards In Kentucky, Or Alimony If You Prefer

Under family law in the state of Kentucky payments to a former spouse for living expenses are no longer called alimony, they are called maintenance.  Whether it can be awarded in Kentucky is governed by Kentucky Revised Statute 403.200.  The statute requires you to prove two things to the Court in order to receive support from your former spouse.

1. You lack sufficient property to provide for your reasonable needs; and

2. Are unable to support yourself through appropriate employment or are the custodian of a child who requires care that makes it inappropriate for you to work outside the home. Continue reading